Screen International, the leading international film trade magazine, is seeking a talented, motivated and experienced news editor to join its fast-paced editorial team. The successful candidate will coordinate and manage all news coverage, including daily breaking news and in-depth analysis pieces, from Screen’s network of staff reporters and international correspondents. Working closely with the online team, they will also help to shape Screen’s news agenda and work on the publication’s market-leading daily editions at major film festivals and markets. The role is London-based but will require international travel throughout the year.
Main role focus:
- Coordinate and edit all news coverage for Screendaily.com, with accurate reporting and quality control of all content.
- Manage news from Screen’s network of staff writers/reporters and territory correspondents, fielding story pitches and editing copy to a high standard.
- Coordinate with Screen’s online editor on daily email newsletters and breaking news alerts.
- Supervise news coverage for daily editions at major film festivals including Cannes and Berlin (and, with experience, take the lead on editing these market-leading dailies).
- Keep Screen at the forefront of international industry reporting.
- Build and maintain long-lasting and effective relationships with industry contacts.
- Some writing/reporting will be involved in addition to editing, and the News Editor will also represent Screen in the market and festivals including on panels.
- Motivate reporters and correspondents to ensure that Screen is not missing out on stories that go to competition titles.
- Coordinate with online editor to make sure that stories achieve their maximum impact online with strong headlines and presentation, and that they sit in the correct areas of the site.
Qualifications & experience:
- Candidates should have a minimum of two years’ news editing experience in a daily online environment, and demonstrable news gathering abilities, including interview and research techniques; FOI use; and comfort dealing with financial data.
- Used to working in a fast-paced environment while also understanding long-term planning.
- In-depth film industry knowledge would be useful.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
Additional personal requirements:
- Strong social and networking skills
- Sharp eye for detail
- Positive team player
How to apply
Please send CV, covering letter and salary expectations to HR@mbi.london, and state the job title of the vacancy in the subject line.
Apply for NEWS EDITOR
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly