Head of film
Over the last eighteen months, under new leadership, Creative Skillset has reshaped the organisation and refocused our strategy on the screen industries, clarifying our purpose and value. Our mission is to lead on building inclusive skills and talent to achieve a world beating UK creative industries sector. We have a new industry Chair and our Board and Advisory Councils comprise committed senior industry leaders from across the screen sector – film, television, visual effects, animation and games – representing large and small organisations across the UK. Industry practitioners shape our skills investment agenda at policy and planning levels. They advise on pragmatic, solution-based approaches which respond flexibly to industry’s priority skills needs during a period of buoyant sector growth and rapid change. This is an exciting opportunity to lead a new and ambitious future film skills plan. A senior level role, it will suit someone who is passionate about film and screen, understands the importance of skills and talent and wants to play a pivotal role in delivering a high-impact outcome focused game changing strategy and plan.
A largely external-facing role, the Head of Film is an influential leadership position, building partnerships and working with industry to identify skills needs priorities, initiate practical and relevant solutions, secure investment and develop investment strategies for the Film, Animation and VFX sectors. It requires someone who is a self starter, proactive, determined and able to lead and drive a change agenda. It requires senior level experience of film production, and a strong network of established industry professionals. Acting as the key contact for the film industry, the BFI and other film sector representative bodies, the role will lead the implementation of the Future Film Skills Strategy.
- Develop and implement a proactive industry and partner engagement strategy identifying the key external stakeholders for the team
- Work with the Chair of the Board and the Chair of the Films Skills Council to manage the Council’s remit and take new approaches to engaging industry membership in consultation and as ambassadors for our work in film
- Work with the Film Industry Training Board, Dept. for Education, industry and other stakeholders to oversee the administration of the Skills Investment Fund (SIF) for film
- Manage the Governance arrangements and act as key contact between Creative Skillset and the BFI • Identify, develop and manage opportunities to leverage new sources of investment to enhance the Future Film Skills Plan
- Manage the film team and oversee all operations in order to implement the Film Skills Strategy on time, within budget and to successful outcome
- Develop and support the film team through clear communications, working to agreed priorities, and providing relevant coaching and development
- Encourage and lead integrated working between the film team and other Creative Skillset teams, such as High End Television.
- Liaise with the Director of Finance and Operations to ensure the operation of the Future Film Skills Fund is managed to agreed protocols.
- Work with Creative Skillset’s Communications Team to develop, drive and implement a renewed communications plan. This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive. It is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility at the time of writing.
- Essential skills and experience
- Experience of film production and operating at a senior level contributing to organisational strategy and delivery.
- Knowledge and and passion for the UK film, VFX and animation sectors.
- Understanding of the changing skills policy and funding context across the UK and insight to shape and deliver a responsive outcome-based skills and talent plan.
- Commercial understanding and business awareness.
- Key account management, with proven experience of building sustained relationships with contacts, developing proposals, generating commercial leads and securing deals.
- Excellent networking skills, ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders and develop and grow sustainable relationships
- Skilful management and prioritization of a complex workloads alongside matrix-working with colleagues in different teams across multiple projects.
- Experience of managing teams, leading and motivating colleagues to deliver the highest quality output whilst working collaboratively towards business objectives.
- Demonstrable professional integrity, confidentiality, and a positive and energetic approach to delivering projects.
- Ability to see the bigger picture, to make smart connections between disparate projects and programmes of work and show creative and innovative approaches to owning and resolving complex problems and issues.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly across the UK