Dublin-based production company Blinder Films are looking for a new full-time Development Executive to work across their slate of projects.
Blinder Films is one of Ireland’s leading production companies, working across film features and television. Recent productions include legal drama series Striking Out for One RTÉ starring Amy Huberman and Neil Morrissey which premiered in January 2017, Whit Stilman’s Love & Friendship, starring Kate Beckinsale and Chloë Sevigny, and The Queen of Ireland, a documentary following drag queen and accidental activist Panti Bliss against the backdrop of the LGBT rights movement in Ireland.
Upcoming projects include Sophie Fiennes’ feature documentary about Grace Jones, which is currently in post-production, and Vita & Virginia, to be directed by Chanya Button starring Gemma Arterton and Eva Green.
The Blinder Films Development Executive will work actively on the current development slate of projects (TV and Film) both creatively and also in terms management of admin and basic finance and legals on each project.
The Development Executive will also be responsible for sourcing new material for development for feature film and television drama projects, for consideration by the Head of Development and Company Directors. Creative thinking is key to this role: finding the right projects for the right channels & then getting them through to commission.
- Overseeing the day-to-day development and running of the projects on the Blinder Films slate (in consultation with the Head of Development)
- Script-editing individual projects as required, providing both written and face-to-face feedback
- Reading submissions, keeping project logs and responding to/rejecting submissions as appropriate
- Proactively seeking out new talent for Blinder Films to work with and potential projects to consider (via liaising with agents, keeping abreast of industry and world news, seeking potential adaptive material, etc.)
- Securing the necessary rights to projects and dealing with agents on these agreements
- Shortlisting and selecting writing candidates for projects
- Preparing development funding applications, managing contracting and ensuring subsequent delivery of materials
- Developing high quality project specs/pitch documents including synopses, one sheets and treatments and assisting with support materials (visual pitch books, etc.) where required
- Researching ideas for story, talent and production potential
- Working with Office Manager to ensure up to date development accounts, ensuring invoices are settled, etc.
- Arrange travel for talent as needed
- General admin duties including keeping Head of Development and Company Directors abreast of state of the slate, new potential projects, etc.
The successful candidate would have:
- Excellent experience in script development and the generation of development notes – for example, coverage, script development notes, script feedback
- Script editing experience, including experience working with Final Draft
- An enthusiasm for and interest in popular entertainment. A passion for drama: television, film, theatre and radio
- Strong knowledge and experience of film and television output and development, including an awareness of material currently in development and potential gaps
- Knowledge of key agents and new talent within the industry, with ability to develop strong working relationships with agents and talent
- Knowledge of script/talent sources and the availability and potential of emerging talent
- An understanding of and the ability to interpret editorial intentions, and to contribute to the generation of ideas and the resolution of script problems
- Excellent communication skills - ability to lead constructive dialogue with sensitivity and tact
- The ability to operate flexibly, to work as a member of a small team and to manage a variable workload
- Ability to work unsupervised, exercising initiative and assessing priorities but referring issues upwards where appropriate
- Resilience and stamina to sustain performance when under pressure from tight schedules and conflicting priorities
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
This is a fulltime position, please send your C.V. and Cover Letter to email@example.com
Please do not call regarding the position. Applications via email only. Deadline: Tuesday 7th March