Chief Executive Officer
The Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS) is Australia’s national screen arts and broadcast school. It has built a reputation as the preeminent film and broadcast school in Australia and has a worldwide for producing creative, daring and effective industry practitioners, acclaimed for their work. With its world-class education and facilities, AFTRS has developed new BA and diploma programs to start in 2015, and a new Masters degree is underway.
Reporting to the governing Council and leading a team of ~130, the Chief Executive Officer is responsible for AFTRS’s overall strategy and operations. The role will become vacant on 25 June 2015 and is based in the School’s purpose-built, modern facility in Sydney.
- maintaining and enhancing the School’s reputation for delivering high quality education, and implementing new degree and diploma programs;
- leading, inspiring and developing the highly capable team of educational and administrative professionals, and encouraging students in the pursuit of excellence;
- encouraging continued innovation and providing thought leadership in screen and broadcasting education;
- responding to the needs of the industry, professionals, students and potential students, and working collaboratively and effectively with the Council and Commonwealth Government; and
- ensuring the ongoing sustainability and growth of AFTRS, overseeing its mixed funding model.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- screen arts and broadcast industry expertise and, ideally, experience in the delivery of higher education and familiarity with the public sector;
- collaborative and charismatic leadership skills with deep links into the local and international screen and broadcast communities; and
- commercial and financial acumen, stakeholder management skills, understanding of public sector management accountabilities and strategic thinking.
For a detailed role specification, please contact Helen Johnson at Challis & Company, the Executive search and Leadership consulting firm advising the Council, on +61 2 8039 2223 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close at 5pm AEST on Monday, 19 January 2015. Challis & Company is simultaneously conducting an executive search.
AFTRS supports workplace diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. AFTRS aims to ensure there is no discrimination in the treatment of its staff or potential employees.