Head of Department - Editing (Full-time or 3-4 days per week)
The National Film and Television School is one of the most respected film, television and new media schools in the world. The School, working with some of the world’s biggest film and television companies, delivers more specialist production and post-production courses than any other film school in the world. In many cases these are unique at MA level.
This is a unique opportunity for someone who is excited about imparting their knowledge to and inspiring the next generation of film and television-makers.
As an experienced film / television Editor you will have knowledge and practical experience of industry customs and practices, and importantly understand the enormous value and contribution made by editing to Fiction, Animation and Documentary film making.
Applicants need to be excellent communicators possessing strong interpersonal skills and a passion for student learning.
JOB DESCRIPTION - HEAD OF EDITING
Head of Departments are mostly but not exclusively film and television professionals who want to convey their experience, skills and enthusiasm to students.
Core Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following.
- Lead, deliver and reconsider in consultation with the Director of Curriculum and Registrar and other Heads of Department an effective editing course curriculum
- Generate appropriate course material and teach workshops and modules
- Ensure that the Editing curriculum is delivered within the agreed budget
- Participate in the School's assessment and evaluation procedures,
- Attend any tutor or other meetings relevant to the role
- Take part in the selection of students for the Editing MA,
- Advise and, where time allows, devise, implement and deliver at the request of the Head of Departments in other disciplines, Editing related seminars and workshops to specific areas
- Provide first line duty of care and take responsibility for the Health and Safety of the Editing MA Department’s students, teaching staff and any temporary support staff. The NFTS will provide appropriate training if required
This post requires an experienced film and/or television professional with solid understanding, knowledge and practical experience of the industry.
An essential quality is the ability to recognise and foster potential talent, whilst also ensuring students reach the technical standards required of them.
You should also have the ability to engage with the other departments of the NFTS.
Heads of Department need to be adept at running their area smoothly and efficiently
Heads of Department are expected to inspire enthusiasm amongst the students and staff for whom they are responsible.
Good interpersonal skills are essential.
The NFTS is an Equal Opportunities Employer