This job is no longer available
The Discovery UK business currently has three consumer product groups, Discovery & Portfolio, TLC & Quest. It is envisioned that the Creative Manager will support at least one of these product groups, as well as the Brand Partnerships team. This role therefore requires a clear understanding of the channels, brands and target audiences.
Your core responsibility as Creative Manager will be to implement and execute the creative strategy set by the Creative Director, working in close partnership with the Channel Heads, as well as the Commercial team.
You will translate marketing briefs into powerfully effective ideas and creative concepts (primarily on-air promos & 360 campaigns), via the management and creative direction of writers/ producers/directors/designers; on time, budget, brand and brief. Where appropriate they will write and/or execute creative work themselves. They should build close working relationships with their marketing counterparts and channel management.
Being a dedicated creative resource for Brand Partnerships is a new and vital part of the role, reflecting Brand Partnerships’ growing importance in the UK business. The Creative Manager will be responsible for building close relations with the Brand Partnerships team to better understand and meet their creative needs (primarily sponsorship stings, on-air packaging, AFPs, show reels and other trade marketing materials). You will also have an end to end understanding of the Brand partnership pitch process, our relationships with media agencies & the character of the clients & customers that the Partnerships teams serve. Additionally you may on occasion attend meetings & pitches with external clients & agencies.
- Receive and effectively interpret marketing briefs (challenging them where necessary)
- Generate and present ideas that are effective across all media
- Allocate appropriate personnel and resources to projects in conjunction with CD and Production
- Provide creative direction and management of creative projects and personnel for relevant Lines of Business.
- Build close working relationship with Channel Management, Marketing and Brand Partnerships teams - to better understand their needs and provide high quality and proactive creative solutions.
- Provide sign-off of creative work and present / sell-in to marketing, channel management; brand partnerships and their clients as needed.
- Write, Direct and Produce promos and other materials as required.
- Be a mentor for creative team members, providing coaching, creative direction and supervision, continually assessing and motivating others
- Ensure delivery of innovative creative AND media, using the best and most effective production techniques and craftmanship to best deliver key messaging to viewers
- Play a leading role in team meetings devising creative solutions for key promotables – including leading brainstorms and providing creative stimulus
- Act as brand champion and guardian, ensuring consistency (of brand and tone of voice) across all creative executions.
- Work closely with Design Manager to produce, maintain and communicate accurate and effective style-guides.
- Take briefs, present work and work in progress to senior management as required.
- Liaise with other internal creative teams and departments as necessary – specifically in maximizing the sharing of creative work and minimising duplication as appropriate
- Oversee and/or create marketing tapes & sponsorship as required.
- Develop roster of personnel (to include writers, directors, art directors, producers, designers and agencies) to maintain and raise the creative output of the team.
- Deputise for and support Creative Director as required
- Highly creative, able to work across multiple projects at the same time
- Strong visual and copy skills, ability to develop multiplatform creative ideas
- Experience of Creative management & direction
- Demonstrable track record of creative excellence (Promax winner)
- A proven track record in relationship building, and representing the business at a senior level internally and externally.
- A proven track record in writing, directing and promo production
- Off-air / graphic design / interactive design experience
- People management experience necessary, including the ability to assess, motivate and coach creative and production staff
- Demonstrable understanding of Discovery Portfolio / Channel brands & target audiences
- A passion for television and industry-leading creative ideas and thinking
- Knowledge and awareness of contemporary creative trends, techniques, innovations and platforms.
Be a key part of the UK creative function alongside AM and DM