Head of Development & Production
The Head of Development & Production is responsible for managing Screen Queensland’s funding programs from the development to production of film, TV, multi-platform and games projects, through a range of channels and platforms.
You will need to be a passionate and committed screen professional focused on sourcing and facilitating the best screen productions. The role is central at a project level in fostering the growth of a dynamic and sustainable screen industry throughout Queensland.
This position will provide strategic leadership as well as creative and operational direction for Screen Queensland, provide leadership to the team of unit managers and is an integral part of the Senior Management Team.
About Screen Queensland
Screen Queensland's role is to develop and support the local screen industry, attract production to Queensland, and celebrate an active screen culture across the State. Locally, the State is a growing force in Australia's film and TV industry landscape and a key contributor to the creative health of our nation. Globally, Queensland is known for its stunning locations, talented crew, and attractive financial incentives.
Screen Queensland supports and promotes a creative, innovative and commercially sustainable screen industry in Queensland that makes productions designed to entertain and connect with both local and worldwide audiences. In doing so Screen Qld generates broader economic and employment benefits across metropolitan and regional Queensland.
Your Key Responsibilities
- The position oversees the following funding programs which apply to film, TV, multi-platform and games projects. Further details of Screen Queensland’s funding programs can be found at www.screenqld.com.au ) :
- Development Investment
- Production Investment
- Revolving Film Finance Fund (“RFFF”, including TV projects)
- Travel Grants
- Indigenous Program
- Implement Screen Qld’s Corporate and Strategic plan for the development of Queensland’s domestic film and television industry, including the ongoing review of funding programs and associated terms of trade.
- Initiate and foster alliances with broadcasters, distribution companies and production companies to facilitate production opportunities and to build sustainable and enduring production activity throughout Queensland, including regional areas.
- Liaise with major Australian and international funding organisations, television networks and distribution companies to facilitate marketplace co-funding
- Supervise unit managers and provide assistance with the analysis and assessment of funding applications and investment recommendations to the CEO and Board.
- Review and determine project financing models and deal elements, including pre-sales, official co-production opportunities and diverse co-financing arrangements.
- Supervise the development of diverse projects that fit market place demands and trends.
- Provide advice on the attraction of interstate and international productions and production enterprise generally to Queensland.
- Overall management of Development and Production budgets and decisions across industry programs.
- Overall responsibility for all aspects of daily department operations, including ensuring operating expenses are managed properly and efficiently, and in line with authorised delegations and terms of trade.
- Advocating organisational vision and goals and promoting a shared commitment to the strategic plan of Screen Queensland as part of the Senior Management Team.
- People management including leading, managing and building an effective, high- performing team.
- Other relevant duties as directed by the CEO
Selection Criteria (Skills & Experience)
- Extensive industry experience in a relevant senior executive position in development or production of creative screen projects with high quality outcomes.
- A sophisticated understanding of creative aspects of film and TV story, script and production elements, with an ability to source and identify creative talent and marketable screen content.
- Understanding of the mechanics of production, financing, local and international distribution channels and the importance of project marketing.
- A genuine passion and tenacity to assist producers to bring formative projects to commercial realisation, and can show personal courage and take unpopular viewpoint when appropriate.
- Excellent business analysis skills, financially literate and highly developed writing skills for CEO and Board briefings.
- Engaging and open communication skills, including an ability to engage both creative and business focused industry practitioners at a senior level.
- Knowledge of State and Federal Government incentives and subsidies relating to the screen industry.
- Established diverse networks within the local and/or international screen industries.
- Ability to be a team player and to respond to the ever changing screen content landscape; by seeking feedback and taking on board new ideas and a modified approach.
- Exceptional people management skills as well as leadership experience, with proven ability to inspire, engage and motivate a team.
- Has a high level of self-awareness and continually seeks to improve self, and is also committed to action and driven to achieve results.
- Previous drama or factual production experience in film and/or television. Passionate interest in Indigenous and Regional storytelling for the screen.
To Apply: Please forward your resume and cover letter addressing the selection criteria above to firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information please contact Lisa Weber (07) 3248 0505. Applications close: 16 June 2014