This job is no longer available
The Programme Manager Factual evaluates and selects the best performing DCI and evaluates and acquires the strongest 3rd party content to drive growth of Western Europe’s factual portfolio. Working with the rest of the Western Europe Factual Team and the regional programming teams, this role helps formulate the factual portfolio content strategy across West; implements that strategy through content sourcing, and is the main point of contact for the Factual Networks for all internal stakeholders.
This role is a highly significant content role, jointly responsible (together with the Head of Factual for West) for the supply of over 3000 hours of programming and primarily responsible for the selection and supply of 1000 hours of 3rd party content to the factual networks.
* Identify pipeline sources for content, evaluate content and give feedback. (25%)
* Evaluate all programme proposals originating from DCI and International Networks and contribute to the editorial evaluation process within the West Programming team. Ensure that programming decisions are conveyed to the relevant teams (20%)
* Establish and develop strong relationships with content distributors and producers, ensuring that Western Europe is positioned to acquire the best performing titles ahead of competitors. (15%)
* Establish strong working relationship with West regional programming/scheduling teams and Research teams. Co-develop programming strategies for both flagship and non-flagship brands. In conjunction with the Programing Co-Ordinator, create presentations and tracking documents for those brands (15%)
* Manage the local acquisition budget and contribute to the budget process on a year to year basis. (10%)
* Co-manage acquisitions meetings with the regions, putting programmes on the DMC for viewing, taking feedback, driving conversations with Business Affairs and updating tracking documents. (5%)
Other responsibilities: (10%)
* Create presentations and analyses to support SVP Programming.
* Develop the Programming Exec and Programming Co-Ordinator, through mentoring, coaching and effective delegation.
Work closely with the local Rights- and Scheduling team to ensure and advise on efficient exploitation of key programming in the local business on all distribution platforms (standard- and non-standard, online, VOD etc.) and to ensure programme offers are posted in a timely manner.
* Other work includes special projects such as channel launches, investment cases and general liaison with press, marketing, local teams and CEEMEA.
* Liaise with Compliance and Reversioning to ensure programmes are compliant.
* Attend international sales markets as needed (e.g. MIP TV, MIP COM)
* Demonstrated editorial judgment and understanding of the Discovery brands
* Demonstrated understanding of the specific requirements and priorities for pay-tv, free-TV and non-linear business across Western Europe.
* Strong communication skills and a diplomatic approach to working within a heavily matrixed organization with UK, US and European based colleagues.
* The ability to develop strong working relationships with European and DNI colleagues at all levels.
* A high level of organizational ability, including strong administrative and time-management skills.
* Sound understanding of commercial deal terms, programme rights and internal DCI and DEI arrangements.
* Technical competence: knowledge of programming business systems including Content Explorer and IT systems including MS Office.