This job is no longer available
Red Planet Pictures is an independent production company specialising in high end, prime time drama. Currently in production with Death in Paradise III, we are also making By Any Means, a new 9pm show for BBC1 and have been commissioned to make Dickensian; The Great War and Noah, also for BBC1.
Job Title: Head of Development
Reports to: Head of Drama
Base: London and Flitwick
Aim of the job:
• To be responsible to the Head of Drama for the development of a range of ambitious and innovative dramas and comedies for Red Planet Pictures.
• To work (and manage where appropriate) other development personnel; to bring established writing talent in to the company and to develop new writing talent.
• To take responsibility for the development of all comedy and drama projects on our slate from inception to greenlight.
• To take an active role in generating and developing creative ideas for new programmes.
• To manage Red Planet’s Development Slate and ensure that there are sufficient numbers of projects at various stages of development.
• To ensure that there is a broad range of projects being developed (original and adaptations) and that we have funded development with all the major broadcasters of drama and comedy.
• To manage development personnel and their development projects.
• To put systems in place to ensure that we have a dynamic approach to development.
• To liaise with Commissioning Editors and Broadcasters to identify opportunities and advance projects.
• To bring established writing talent to the company and to develop new talent both through Red Planet’s Writing Competition, our website submissions system and through other routes.
Professional Knowledge and Skills
• Excellent track record in working with writing talent, developing projects and managing personnel.
• Awareness of writing talent across different mediums including Film, TV and Theatre.
• Good relationships with writing and literary agents. Relationship with Commissioners preferable.
• Sound understanding of the broadcasting industry and output across all broadcasters of comedy and drama.
• Awareness of gaps within current TV output.
• Leadership skills - ability to create a vision and inspire others to realise it.
• Organisation skills – ability to create and deliver achievable development strategy.
• Proven track record in team management.
Closing date: 4th July 2013